I think every child has a tree that means something special to them--well, at least I hope so. You know, a place to hide, climb, and play. Mine, it turns out, is an apple tree, and although it never produced very good apples it was a great childhood toy and remains a memorial to a simpler time of life. Sadly/Happily(You can decide), progress has found its way to the Hathaway home. My dad has decided to add another wing onto our little house, and as fate would have it, the apple tree had to go.

This is me doing my duty--chopping down the little tree.

Here's my dad with his chainsaw. I think everyone need a chainsaw!!!
2 comments:
Yeay. I was particularly attached to the cherry tree in our front yard. Each spring I would look out my window bug-eyed to see the pink blossoms exploding infront of my window. When I was younger I used to through a tennis ball up and watch it bounce down off all the branches. I thought it looked like those cool pin ball machines, or even a factory!
Saddly, this tree is now gone and Spring is never quite as satisfying. Isn't it funny how much you can become attached to a tree? It doest hug you. It doesn't pack you lunches. It doesn'even wag its tail when it sees you. It's just bark and leaves and sometimes fruit. Yet trees often define our childhood.
Mine was a box elder tree. In my back yard. I lived in it all summer long. It was what ever I wanted it to be. A playhouse, a queen's seat, boat, space ship, and a shady place to play cars under, or made mud pies. It was sad the last time I saw it it was dead.
Post a Comment