Monday, March 9, 2009

Oh Nordstrom, Where Has Your Customer Service Gone?

I've always been very impressed with Nordstrom's friendly employees and customer service. I realize that this is in large part due to the commission that employees earn on all their sales, but, just the same, I enjoy it. Well, that was until last Friday. During my little excursion to Utah I had a very alarming run in with a Nordstrom employee at the University Mall. And I though Orange Discrimination was dead!



The following scene is my best recollection of how the events and dialog transpired:

[Me wandering into the men's formal clothing section. I was walking slow and just trying to kill time while I waited for my friends.]

Employee: Wow, you're getting to be quite the regular here.

Me: [With my sarcastic voice] No, I don't think so. I actually live in California.

Employee: Oh, um...yeah, well, it must be someone that looked just like you.

Me: [Awkward smile and trying to walk away]

Employee: We don't get that many redheads in here.

Me: [Still trying to get away and wondering if someone could actually be this stupid]

Employee: Yeah, we actually had them all terminated. [Picture one of those moments when a person tries to be funny but fails miserably.] (And, yes, he was actually speaking about redheads.)

Me: [I gave him one of those disgusted looks that says, "Did you actually just say that?"]

Employee: [Realizing what he said] Oh, um, I was just kidding.

Me: [Walking away as quickly as possible.]

Now for a little commentary.


I just don't get it. Why do poor little redheads have to be profiled and then mocked. It just isn't right. Next time you see or meet a redhead, don't tell them they look exactly like one of your friends. Chances are they don't, and honestly, you sound like a total idiot!

7 comments:

KiM said...

If you think you get it being a red head.....man, try being Asian! I get it all the time...people mix me up with the other Asian girl they know.

bec said...

that's really funny. Brandon gets that a lot too.

Allison said...

I'm dying laughing!

At least random people don't come up to you and start speaking Spanish! Happens to me often. LOL

Oh, send me your email address so I can invite you to read my blog. It's now private, so that's why you haven't seen that I've updated it recently. allisoncromar@gmail.com

BEANA said...

please note that scott did look like the little boy in the picture except without the glasses.

Margene said...

In my teaching career I decided redheads needed a little extra help. So I gave them A just because they had red hair. Really they all really earned A's any way. I always wanted a redhead child. I love redheads.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

WHAT A PERFECT PICTURE!!!

This is so cute. And it simply must be a picture of you in your childhood. It looks EXACTLY like you. ;) (Hahaha! I crack myself up!)

Okay, okay. I'm just kidding. I'm on your side. I say the Nordstrom's employee was wro-hong. You know as well as I do that redheads do not all look the same. For instance, rarely are redheads as attractive as you are *wink and the gun*.

In the future I suggest you stick to JC Penny's.

Heather & Bryce said...

Scott Hathaway!! I came across your blog and think this post is SOOOO sad but so true! our store is kind of struggling right now with bad employees ...I want to know who it was hahaha...i think i can already guess who it is...is he super tall...like in his 40s, kind of dorky? I WANNA KNOW!

By the way, my blog is private, send me your email and i will add you because i want to stalk your blog :) my email is belezastyle@gmail.com

-Heather Fernandes (Moore)