Wednesday, July 29, 2009

OH Canada!

I have always been pretty intrigued by Canadians--they're basically Americans, but not. And all I have to say is that you better not forget their country of origin or they'll whip out a Canadian flag so fast it will make you head spin.

Before this trip, I had never ventured into the boarders of our friendly neighbor to the north, and I was quite excited to get this Canada thing sorted out in my mind. You know, just figure out what's going on up there...

When we finally arrived at the border and handed over our passports, the pleasant guy in the booth asked us to park our car and go inside. Next thing I knew, we were being separated and interviewed! I've crossed a lot of borders and never been welcomed with type of treatment so I got a little antsy.

Border Patrol: "Have you ever visited Canada or attempted to enter Canada before?"

Me: "Nope. I'm a first timer."

Border Patrol: [Not entertained by my answer and looking very intense.] "What is the purpose for your visit?"

Me: "Travel."

Border Patrol: "Have you ever been convicted of a crime anywhere in the world?"

Me: "No"

Border Patrol: "Are you sure I am not going to find anything?"

Me: [Beginning to wonder if I actually did do something wrong.] No, nothing.

Border Patrol: "What is your current occupation?"

Me: [Thinking that's kind of a tough question and wondering if they wont let me in if I don't have a job.] "Well, I just graduated and I am currently searching for work."

Boarder Patrol: "Where did you got to school?"

Me: "Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah."

Border Patrol: [Testing me.] "What did you study?"

Me: "I graduated with a degree in communications and a minor in business."

Boarder Patrol: "Who are the people you're traveling with?"

Me: "Well, that my girlfriend and those are her parents."

Border Patrol: "OK, you can send the next person over."

Luckily, we passed and got to continue our journey. The road was pretty beautiful and we got to see a lot more sites through the window as we drove.

We even got to see a bunch of Big Horn Sheep. There were just chillin' on the side of the road.



4 comments:

Jenny said...

funny scott, funny, very funny!

love your blog posts!

Emily Webster said...

you had to park and go inside? holy cow, you must have looked like an American terrorist! Jer and I went to Canada a few months ago, and the interrogation was brutal! He was asking questions so quickly like he was trying to catch me in a lie! Not a good first impression of canadians. Getting back into the U.S. however, was a very pleasant experience. I will forever hate Canadians because of that traumatic experience...

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha---you totally got pulled over because you are friends with me---Canada's most wanted:p

Yvonne said...

I was going to suggest that perhaps it's your connection to Heidi, but she beat me to it ; )

You have obviously had conversations with our little Canadian who I think carries a Canadian flag in his pocket.

Read your post about the National Parks--you are right. I will never forget our trip to Glacier National park--AMAZING.