Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Road Trip!

So after seeing Seattle on Monday, we set out our 7-day road trip. Let's be honest, I was a little concerned. Sitting in a car for countless hours isn't exact my idea of great time, but it turned out to be a lot of fun because we made some very amusing side trips.

This is us a Stef's house right before we took off...I think we drove more than 2,000 miles.

One of my favorite stops was actually before we entered Canada. You see, Stefanie has a little fetish with fish hatcheries--she loves them. I never really understood, but then it happened...

MY FIRST FISH HATCHERY!


Here's the Tanner family right in front of the large outdoor tanks.


A wonderful redneck took us on a little tour. (This is where the river meets the hatchery and newly grown fish are released)

This is the fish latter all the spawning Salmon use to return home.

I wish you could see all the huge recently returned Salmon swimming below Stefanie.

We saw the movie and learned all about growing fish.

The head honcho showed us the egg incubation drawers.

And taught us how to sort eggs. (These are Salmon and Steelhead.)

AND THEN...he took us in the freezer where we saw all kinds of crazy things.


A huge freshwater Steelhead--frozen stiff.

And honestly the experience wouldn't be complete without a frozen bear head, right?

This whole experience was a total blast. Who knew fish hatcheries could be so much fun?

5 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

I am so happy you love fish hatcheries too :)

Lynn said...

That's because in California, they don't say "I've got all my boys here," they say "I love boys" and they don't kill bears, they kill people. Hahaha, I love picking on Californians:)

Margene said...

where are the pictures with a caption.

Julie T said...

I'm not as obsessed as Stefanie, but I must admit I haven't met a fish hatchery I haven't enjoyed and that one took the cake! Btw, great move to lose those sunglasses in the lake! Lose glasses-save face: it's a win-win!! ;)

Marcindra LaPriel said...

HOT DANG! Next time you two lovebirds go on an adventure, may I join?