Friday, October 24, 2008

The Examples in My Life

I'm one of the stake secretaries and I've been assigned to work with President Quigley, our stake president (this is not meant to be conceded, but rather informative). First off, he is an amazing man - WOW - what a leader. He understands the power of a counsel and always seeks guidance from his counselor and even us secretaries. He is motivated and driven by the spirit in everything that he does. One of my attribute that really impresses me is his ability to rely on the spirit. Almost every time I'm with him, he'll just stop talking and allow the spirit to speak to him. We just wait and then he guides. I feel so blessed to be able to serve in this capacity in the kingdom. I have learned so much. Every time I leave his side I strive to be a better person. Well, there's one of the great examples in my life.

On to another, as part of my calling I get to participate in the accountability interviews with the elders quorum presidents. Together we have the opportunity to counsel about the needs of each quorum.

Last night, I sat in on one of the interviews. The president that came is a great guy and totally full of kindness, but he's a little rough around the edges when it comes to church service. I've always known that he was called by revelation, but I wondered how he would do. Well, last night I saw a spiritual giant that was a little rough around the edges. This president is determined to faithfully serve the members of his quorum. When asked about his counselors, he gave the most complimentary report I think I've ever heard. He said they are amazing that they do everything and more than he expect. How could they be anything but great with a leader that believes in them like that? He talked about his quorum and you could see the love radiating from his face. Wow, what a humbling experience for me. I am so grateful for the those who are able to see more in us than we can. God is smoothing out this president's edges.

This whole thing really reminds me of my mission. I was sitting with my companion and President Vincent one day discussing transfers. President V wanted to move a missionary, but I questioned whether he was ready for that type of responsibility. My president was quick to reply, "Elder Hathaway, It isn't about who they are, it's about who they can become." God knows us. This is his kingdom and if we are willing He can make us into who we need to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love President Quigley! I was in his stake for three years and miss it so much.