Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Southeast Asia — Here I Come?

Yesterday I went to see my academic advisor, and it’s official—I am going to graduate. (Christina, stop trying to steal my thunder.) Well, actually they did make me pay $15 more dollars to apply for graduation. Seriously, who thought that up? Does the university just want to give us one more financial kick in the pants on our way out? I guess I better just not go there.

OK, so on to my plans…I am going to finish school on December 10 and then I’m off to Hawaii on December 11 for Christina’s graduation and a little R&R. Grandma Boss (93) and my mom and dad are going as well. I think we are all in for quite the treat. There are three things I have to do while I’m there: (1) shark cages, (2) scuba dive, and (3) eat at the Hukilau Café. It is important to set goals and make plans.

After Christmas at home in California, I really want to take about three weeks and go on a trip to Southeast Asia. I think it would be a blast, right? Riding elephants in Thailand, hiking through the temples in Anchor Wat, or relaxing on a private island in the Philipines?



Well, yesterday I was met with a little resistance. Most people are excited, but a friend at work and one of roommates put up quite the protest. Really? They said that it doesn’t make much sense, it costs too much money and it isn’t educational. Hmmm. I don’t know about that? I have worked very hard to get my degree. I love to travel—it accelerates my soul, and I’m going to work for the rest of my life. I don’t know. What do you guys think?

4 comments:

Emily Webster said...

America Rocks! traveling sucks!haha
I'm that work friend that hates the world. especially southeast Asia...

Anonymous said...

do not listen to the nay-sayers. how many times in your life are you going to be this free to do whatever you want to do? no responsibilities, no job, no debt. you can do anything you want. if that's southeast asia, then go. now. :)

Stefanie Elyse said...

Three weeks? If you're gonna go, just do it right and go for 6 weeks! I want to be excited for you, but honestly, I'm mostly jealous...

Phil said...

Your trip will be one to remember! I hope you have fun!