Well, during my senior campaigns class on Monday morning we had a little discussion about what PR is really like. Professor Walton gave us a chance to ask questions about "what really concerns us about PR." Harmless and helpful you might think, well... Anyway, the discussion went really well and my professor shared a lot great insight, but it left me worrying about how I've neglected job searching when graduation is only a couple months away.
Right when I was ready to slip out of class and redeem my dad's frequent flier miles for a flight to a far-away-land, Professor Walton busted out her beignets. As she started passing around these delightful little fried pastry ball and fresh raspberry sauce I became intrigued.

She then read us a story her daughter wrote about beignets. You know, most of us don't know about beignets because we are all about donuts in the good old USA. But, really what is a donut? How do we know it? It is a piece of fried bread with a hole in it. It's interesting that our entire nation defines that piece of bread by what it doesn't have, rather than what it is made up of. Interesting.
Are you feeling a lesson coming on? Beignets are not defined by what they don't have they are defined by what they are - delicious fried bread. I've decided that I need to be more like the beignet. I am going to stop defining myself and my future by what I don't have. Now is my time to define myself by all my great qualities. Companies that are concerned about what I don't have need not worry about holding a place for me. I want to find a job where my employer values what I bring and helps me develop my talents.
Thanks Professor Walton, I needed that.
1 comment:
i believe i am most like baklava - lots of layers (like shrek)and delicious - if we're doing the whole pastry comparison thing. now, if we enter into the realm of food as a whole, i might have to pick brie cheese - tough, unappetizing rind with a soft gooey center :)
Post a Comment